Monday, November 02, 2009

Mostly Mended

It's been a busy couple of days. Yesterday morning Brian and I went to the barn, he saddled up and hopped on Cal while I took Steen to the strip to hang out and graze. Steen was still showing no reluctance to eat, so I wasn't too worried about him.

Jim appeared a while later to give Steen shot number two. We went inside for this, back to the stall where teeth were done. Steen was behaving much more like his normal self, snorty but not spooky. I held his head up, Jim stuck the needle in his neck and then a girl who had just finished her ride lost control of her mare. The mare ran out of her stall, up and down the aisle a few times, then ran into the open stall next to Steen's where a gelding was tied up. The gelding tried to kick her, she spun and smacked into the wall next to Steen and then ran back out into the aisle and away, and someone finally caught her.

Through all of this, Steen, while clearly growing nervous, did not even move. He didn't try to pull away from me or the needle in his neck. I assured him it was all ok and he believed me. Jim successfully administered the shot, we gave him some bio-sponge paste and I took him back to the strip to graze some more.

Brian rode Cal for 45 minutes, and Cathi told us that Cal's owner is moving Cal into the feed lot, so she and Steen still get to be pasture-mates. We took the two of them out to their new digs and left.

In the evening, we returned, fetched Steen from his pasture, gave him the rest of the bio-sponge and a tube of probiotics paste, and left him indoors for the night so Jim could swing by and give him shot number three in the morning.

Late this morning (after I, too, went to a doctor), I came back to the barn where Steen was waiting only a little impatiently to be freed from his confinement. His stall was thoroughly dirtied with very normal-looking horse manure. So, I think we're out of the woods. I groomed him a little, gave him a couple of carrots and put him back outside.

So, I still don't know what exactly happened. Jim doesn't either and also doesn't seem inclined to speculate. I suppose that is how it goes with horses. Sometimes they get out of whack, and you take steps to get them back to normal. As long as it doesn't happen very often, I suppose the "why" is unimportant. It may have been the shift in his diet from primarily pasture grasses to baled hay. It may, indeed, have been the early symptoms of Patomic horse fever. It may have been something we haven't even thought of. Regardless, as ever, these little hiccups are very educational.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear Steen is feeling better so quickly. I'm getting Tranikla checked out tomorrow by the vet, because his nose is still all goobery. Oh, horses...they make life so fun. :)


The Archives


Popular Posts