Saturday, February 08, 2014

Zoey Goes 'Home'

It's been hard to sit on the news for a week, but I didn't want to post this until everything was final. However, as of today, Zoey is no longer our horse. We're just home from loading her into a trailer, and watching it drive away.

Zoey new owners live north of Des Moines, a husband and wife who have a few horses, a lovely acreage, and trail access. He (I'll call him K) was looking for a horse with a willing attitude to finish up and take on the trails.

He called for the first time two weeks ago. He'd seen Zoey's ad, and was impressed by the photos. I chatted with him for quite a while, telling him her story. He sounded curious, but I explained we didn't know how she'd be on the trails as we hadn't had her out much. He said maybe they'd come look at her in the spring. But honestly, I didn't think we'd hear back.

Then, last Saturday, we got home from a ride and I saw I had a voicemail. I listened, and it was this potential buyer, asking if he could and his wife could come meet Zoey.

We said sure, and a short while later were back at the barn. I'd had a nice ride on Zoey earlier that day, so it was no big deal to tack her up again and climb aboard to show K her stuff. I showed stepping the front and hind, bending, circles, walk, trot, lope, and he was ready to get on. I stepped down and he stepped up.

And they had a great ride. Zoey was soft and willing and did everything he asked of her. We'd explained she was sensitive and responsive, and he was having no trouble steering her with his legs will a little backup from the hands.

A few minutes later, he got off. We stood around for awhile, and you could just see him falling in love. Zoey was quiet and sweet and curious, standing around happily as we chatted, even though she was the only horse in the whole barn. Eventually, he made us an offer. We took it.

They left, leaving us with a deposit and the promise to come back for Zoey in a week.

It was a strange week, knowing she was no longer ours. It was also a cold, snowy week. Brian rode her twice, once on Tuesday, and once today before her new owners arrived with the trailer. She was fantastic all week. I even took some video of Brian working on no-handed figure-eights:

Today, after a light ride and lots of pets, she followed Brian right onto the trailer and K snapped the butt bar in place. Her new owners are beyond excited to have her. K's wife, E, confessed K's been so excited he hasn't been sleeping well.

So, she's gone. It's taking a while to sink in. It's hard to imagine a better outcome for her. They are talking about hoping to have her for the next 20 years. We learned so much from her, and she was really a very rewarding horse to work with. So it's a good thing, beyond a doubt. But it's going to be a while before we can walk into the pasture and not feel like something is missing.

Horseback Hours YTD: 18:15


  1. Awww, glad you found her a good home. I admit that I'll miss reading about her too. :)

  2. Yeah. I know what you mean. I'll miss writing about her, and hanging out with her. If only we had acres upon acres of our own land, and unlimited funding. We could then keep ALL the horses. :)

    1. Ha yeah. If I had the funds for it, I would probably keep ALL the horses too (and dogs, and cats, and reptiles, and parrots, etc, etc). I've come to the realization that I'll never be rich, because if I was, I'd just get more critters. :)

    2. Brian found some quote a little ago that said, "I spend my money on bourbon and horses. The rest is just wasted."

      We're not exactly on board with the bourbon part, but the rest is certainly how we seem to view life. :)


The Archives


Popular Posts